Medical Wound Dressing Skin physiologic function:
Protective and defensive function
Physical protective function. The weakly acidic environment on the skin surface could prevent microbial invasion. It could also protect the skin against chemical penetration.
2. Metabolic function
Through secretion and absorbing function of sweat glands and sebaceous glands, skin participates in metabolism activity of carbohydrate, water, protein, lipid, to keep balance of humors, protein and electrolyte.
3. Thermoregulation function
Skin can regulate the body temperature through plenty of rete vasculosum and sweat glands.
4. Respiratory function
Usually, this kind of metabolism is about 1% of gaseous metabolism of lung. But it could cover 15- 20% of gaseous metabolism of lung caused by high temperature or intensive physical activity.
5. Perceptual function
There are plenty of nerve terminals in the skin, and these nerve terminals could sense pain, touch, heat and coldness.
Mechanism of advanced dressing
According to different pathophysiological and clinical characteristics during the process of wound healing, different advanced dressings are used to improve the wound healing.
Protect the wound from microbial invasion.
2. Keep wound area warm and moist.
3. Accelerate the generation of multi-enzyme, increase the activated ability of growth factor, and accelerate the wound healing.
4. Improve local microcirculation, "wake up" self-clean ability of chronic wound.
5. Kinds of cells are activated in the moist environment, and other microorganism in the wound could be killed.
6. Carbon dioxide of the wound is raised, it can accelerate generation of new, vascular and granulation tissue.
7. Moist gel will be formed on the wound surface to protect the granulation tissue, and reduce pain.
8. Accelerate the auto-debridement, help the generation of granulation and epidermis.
9. Reduce the pressure, friction and shearing force to the wound, and improve the blood supply.
10. Scab will not occur, division of epithelium cells will be enhanced and easily migrated, and thus healing process will be shortened.
Factors which influences the wound healing
1. Wound is not handled properly: this is caused by lack of basic knowledge of wound care and proper using method of wound dressings.
2. Wound humidity: cells, enzymes and growth factors can't be activated in the dry environment. When they are in humid environment, their activation will be enhanced, and wound healing is accelerated.
3. Wound temperature: cells and enzymes in the wound can be best activated in the normal body temperature. It is indicated by research that: when the wound temperature is 2°C lower than body temperature, the activated ability of cells and enzymes will be significantly Declining.
4. Deficiency of blood supply: change of pressure, friction, and shearing force will cause inflammation of small vessels, and thrombus is generated, therefore wound healing rate is affected.
5. Infection of wound: wound area infection will cause the necrosis of tissue cells, and wound healing rate is influenced.
6. Scab formation: scab formation will influence the metabolism of wound area and immigration of epithelization.
Pain: pain of the wound area will cause the vasoconstriction, then oxygen supply will be decreased, and restructure of vascular tissue will be influenced.